Research Technician II, Spatial Single-Cell RNA Sequencing
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network.
The Fred Hutch Innovation Laboratory (FHIL) at Fred Hutch seeks an enthusiastic and highly motivated technician to join a team of scientists working in a multi-disciplinary environment on the forefront of fundamental and immunotherapy research. The FHIL is a new collaborative initiative of the Immunotherapy and Translational Data Science Integrated Research Centers (IIRC and TDS_IRC) with a mission to advance the introduction and development of new immuno-oncology research technologies. The FHIL will spur in-house development and early adoption of novel techniques, including advanced single cell RNA spatial sequencing, T- and B-cell receptor sequencing, and other DNA/RNA-based technologies.
The FHIL will initially be housed in the Bielas Lab, under the direction of Dr. Bielas. Working with Dr. Bielas, the successful candidate will function with a high degree of independence as they manage daily activities.
The successful candidate will test new technologies, compare and develop protocols and use these technologies to support ongoing research in immune-oncology. This person will be responsible for comparing and improving protocols, generating data to compare technologies, benchmarking technologies in collaboration with computational biology collaborators. The technician will perform bench-level experiments, operate analytical instruments, and compile and verify the accuracy of experimental data. The technician will also maintain detailed laboratory records, analyze data, and report on experimental results.
This position requires a high level of organization, a keen eye for detail, and accurate and thorough record keeping. We seek a candidate who is consistent in executing lab protocols and can swiftly adapt and troubleshoot new ones. This position will be extended to a candidate who is creative, passionate, persistent, patient, and critical, with a strong sense of independence, initiative, and drive to propel work forward. We seek a committed candidate who is an effective communicator of science; who is confident and proactive, with excellent interpersonal skills, discipline, readiness to learn and contribute, and eagerness to take on new challenges.
- Compare and refine protocols for single-cell RNA sequencing and other DNA/RNA based technologies
- Generate data to compare new technologies; many of these technologies will focus on single cell techniques but are not limited to this area
- Maintain laboratory records of all testing and protocol development and report on the performed work as necessary
- Perform bench experiments, generate sequencing libraries, and compile other components of the downstream analysis of large experiments for immunotherapy researchers
- Maintain laboratory stocks, cultures, cell lines, reagents, and other supplies
- Manage a research database and maintain detailed electronic records
- Conduct literature reviews to assist in experimental design, including the identification of alternate methods
- Assist in the preparation of scientific manuscripts by contributing ideas, proofreading, and copy editing
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field
- 2 years of related post-college experience working in a laboratory
- Molecular biology experience
- The candidate must be detail oriented and a fast and willing learner.
- A strong background in molecular and cellular biology, including cloning, transfection/infection of cells, and PCR is essential
- The ideal candidate is interested in 2+ years in the iLab.
- Experience in tissue culture, QPCR, ddPCR, NGS, mutational assays, FACs and bioinformatics is highly desirable.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.LEARN MORE