Karolinska Institutet, Institutionen för mikrobiologi, tumör- och cellbiologi
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching in immunology, infection biology, cell biology and cancer. MTC has about 430 active employees, including 100 PhD students, 50 postdoctoral researchers and 26 professors. Key words are multidisciplinary, bridging, translational, national and international collaborations.
We are looking for a Bioinformatician to join two teams of scientists (4 PhD students and 5 postdocs) dedicated to understand the relationships between stochastic chromatin states and transcriptional processes during development and in diseases. This task is facilitated by in-house innovations of techniques enabling the analyses of chromatin structures and networks in very small cell populations, down to single cells. The successful candidate will thus participate in the experimental planning, processing, analysis, integration and publication of next- generation sequencing (NGS) data including RNA-seq, single cell transcriptome sequencing, chromosome interactome data and proteomics. The tasks will include statistical analysis, meta-analysis and data modeling. The successful candidate will work together with other members of the team and with collaborators. The ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential for this position.
Scholarships for carrying out postdoctoral research may be granted to persons living in other countries who come to Sweden with the intention of only staying in Sweden for all or part of their postdoctoral education at KI. Persons who are resident in Sweden and/or have carried out all or part of their academic education at KI or some other educational institution in Sweden cannot be considered for scholarships from KI. The head of the department determines whether their previous training and scholarly qualifications correspond to a Swedish PhD or higher.
A person is eligible for a two-year tax-free postdoc fellowship if he or she has obtained a PhD or equivalent in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biomedical Engineering, or a relevant quantitative scientific discipline.
In addition, it is required that the successful candidate has:
– Experience in the analysis of NGS data, in particular RNA-seq, single cell RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, 3C-based chromatin interactome datasets
– Experience in network analysis and good knowledge in biostatistics are requirements. A strong experience using R/BioConductor and working experience in Unix/Linux environment is required (prior scripting language experience e.g. Python/Perl is a plus)
– Experience in data visualization
– Experience in meta-analysis
– Experience in SNP calling from NGS data is a plus
– Proficiency in written and spoken English
It is a merit if the applicant can document the following:
– Good understanding of biological concepts and/or willingness to learn. Experience in working with wet lab scientists is a plus
– Good organizational, communication and social skills
– Good publication track record
– Good presentation skills
Type of scholarship
A scholarship for carrying out postdoctoral research can be granted for a maximum of two years within a four year period following the receipt of a doctoral degree or equivalent. This educational scholarship is tax-exempt.
The amount is set for twelve months at a time and is paid out on a monthly basis. In exceptional cases, shorter periods may be acceptable.
Prolongation can be negotiated.
An application must contain the following documents in English:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defense, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and any committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than one page)
- Verifications for crediting of illness, military service, work for labour unions or studentorganisations, parental leave or similar circumstances
- Verification from the thesis defence committee or the equivalent (only if the thesis defence is scheduled within three months after the application deadline).
The application is to be submitted on the MyNetwork recruitment system.