Department of Ibt – Cedp – Dashwood
Houston, TexasJob Description
Performs bioinformatics analysis, statistical analysis and independently carries out de novo genome assembly, transcriptomic analysis (RNA-seq and other data), and other types of high-throughput sequencing data. Collects, compiles and analyzes data; documents and interprets results of experiments.
Required Education and Experience:
- Appropriate PhD
Required Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others. Ability to perform all tasks and job responsibilities safely without injury to self and other sin compliance with A&M System and HSC guidelines.
- Provide a safe environment that fosters respect, inclusion, and equality of all faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Must be literate in the English language and able to comprehend and follow both written and verbal instructions. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in English.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. degree in Bioinformatics, computer science, biology, physics, statistics, mathematics, engineering or other related field.
- Research experience rich in programming and statistics skills. Experience in Bioinformatics especially in genetics and epigenetics.
- Experience working with diverse individuals and communities
- Knowledge of de novo genome assembly, transcriptomics analysis (RNA-seq and other data), coding in Python, Perl, and/or R.
- Design and perform experimental procedures including data acquisition and data analysis. Perform bioinformatics analysis of large-scale omics data. Use applicable software to create database, perform statistical analysis, present data and perform other computer related tasks as directed by supervisor.
- Prepare data for charts, figures, and manuscripts for papers and meetings and for publications in journals. Preparation of slides for presentation at scientific conferences and meetings.
- Support project design and grant application involving next generation sequencing and bioinformatics.
- Collects, compiles, and analyzes data. Documents and interprets results of experiments and report to Principal Investigators. Responsible for evaluation, selection, and application of standard techniques.
- Independently carries out de novo genome assembly, transcriptomics analysis (RNA-seq and other data), ChIP-Seq, WGBS, and other types of high-throughput sequencing data.
- Coordinates with Principal Investigator to write and present scientific papers, grant proposals, and manuscripts for publication.
- Participates in weekly lab meetings within the center and other departments. Participate in joint projects involving the laboratory team.
- Maintain lab equipment and stocks, occasionally other supplies and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.