A position as Staff Scientist (A-TAP level) is available at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, from the 1st of January 2018. The position is for two years with a possibility for extension.
The employee will be part of Prof. Jan-Wilhelm Kornfeld’s ERC-funded research group (www.kornfeldlab.com), which is interested in understanding the role of small and long noncoding RNAs (ncRNAs) and chromatin dynamics in regulation of systemic energy homeostasis and physiology. In our work we utilize systems -OMICS methods like RNA-Seq and ChIP-Seq, computational approaches and the generation of transgenic mice to identify and molecularly characterize disease-associated ncRNAs and chromatin signatures in vivo.
We are seeking an employee (either biologist or bioinformatician) who can independently conceptualize and carry out research projects, is actively involved in the groups’ research projects and appreciates being a central part of an ambitious, international team of scientists.
The ideal candidate is comfortable with one or many of the following:
• Contributing to ongoing research activities in the group.
• Developing modern RNA interrogation methods (ChART, SHAPE, CLASH etc.).
• Performing NGS experiments (RNA-Seq, ChiP-Seq, ATAC-Seq).
• Aiding in husbandry, handling and phenotyping of transgenic mice.
• Assisting in grant funding applications, training of students and guests.
• Contributing to teaching activities in English.
Your education and background:
• A PhD degree in life sciences and / or computer sciences
• Experience in RNA biology, biochemistry and / or chromatin dynamics.
• Experience in characterizing transgenic animals.
• At least one first authorship in a leading journal in the field.
• Proficiency in R and at least one of the main scripting languages (e.g. Python) and/or the willingness to receive training in computational analyse of -OMICS datasets.
• Good collaborative skills, a positive attitude towards science and its contribution to society.
• Dilligence and intellectual flexibility as requried for an academic position.
• An open and positive mind that actively contributes to the infrastructure and the success of the research team.
Further information can be obtained from Professor Jan-Wilhelm Kornfeld’s interim email: email@example.com, phone 49+ 221 4726 217.
Appointment to the position will be in accordance with the salary agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.